The rumor mill is churning and the word is that the Jaguar XJ full-size sedan is getting a makeover as an electric vehicle. Find out what there is to know about the upcoming 2020 Jaguar XJ at Land Rover of Naperville, your local authorized Jaguar retailer in the Chicagoland area. Be sure to contact us with any questions!
Why Is the Jaguar XJ Becoming Fully Electric?
It’s electric! But why? There are a possible few reasons that Jaguar is deciding to make the switch over to electric motors for the XJ. It is likely a combination of all these factors that have sparked the change.
- To refresh the model for current trends and needs, and boost its sales after being on the market for 10 years.
- To compete with the success of the Tesla Model S and to keep pace with other luxury brands’ electric releases, like the upcoming Porsche Taycan and Aston Martin Rapide.
- To take steps towards the continued electrification of the Jaguar Land Rover models, which the company spoke on extensively at the 2019 Chicago Auto Show, and which began with the release of the 2018 Jaguar I-PACE SUV.
What Can We Expect From An Electric Jaguar XJ?
It’s too early to nail down any definitive details about this upcoming pure electric car yet, but there are some educated guesses and some facts confirmed by Jaguar that we can anticipate:
- Price: Some media sources have estimated the price to be between $4,000 and $10,000 higher than the current combustion engine 2019 Jaguar XJ which starts at $76,000
- Release: An official release date has not been released yet, but Jaguar has confirmed that sales will begin in 2020. Some think the vehicle will debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2019, or the Geneva Motor Show in March 2020.
- Design: According to Ian Callum, the design chief of Jaguar, this new model will be “beautiful, sporty, [and] sleek,” and the exterior must “signify the message of a sports car.” This low-drag re-imagining is in comparison to the current three-box sedan shape.
- Battery Location: According to Car magazine, the battery pack for the XJ will be floor-mounted, below the cabin, which will give the vehicle excellent balance much like the Jaguar I-PACE.
- Battery Range: The XJ may get a 100kWh battery, which could have a range of 300 miles or more. The current I-PACE model has a 90 kWh battery and a 234-mile range.
- Powertrain: The battery will deliver power to four electric motors–one for each wheel. This means the new XJ will have four-wheel drive for better traction on Aurora and Bolingbrook roads.
Get the Latest Jaguar News at Jaguar of Naperville
Learn more about current sedan models by comparing the Jaguar XF vs. Jaguar XJ, then visit Jaguar of Naperville near Downers Grove to test drive one of our new vehicles! Be sure to contact us for the latest Jaguar XJ news and more!